Fethiye’s Amyntas Lycian Rock Tombs

fethiye lycian rock tombs

Fethiye’s famous Lycian rock tombs were once filled with gold and riches fit for dead royalty – until they were looted sometime after their construction during the 4th century B.C. Now the site of the tombs, high on a mountain side overlooking the beach town of Fethiye, Turkey, sits perched atop a climb of several hundred steps waiting for visitors.

fethiye rock tombs

The view from below is much more impressive than tombs’ interior, which are about the width of an elevator. For 3 TL (~$2) you’ll pay for a good calf workout and this great view of Fethiye from above.

fethiye castle

From there you can take (your legs) to new heights for an even better view from the ruins of Fethiye Castle. Those of you not afraid of a steep climb should head up to this prominent flag pole for the best possible view of Fethiye (and Calis beach in the distance) from the immediate area.

view of fethiye turkey

And yes, those are the same Lycian rock tombs, one of Fethiye’s most popular attractions, which I’m standing in front of on the foXnoMad Facebook fan page. I’ll have plenty to share from this coastal Turkish city which I’m basing myself out through the spring but for now you can see more of my pictures in my Fethiye gallery here.

Comments - 22 Responses   (Need a pic to show with your comment? Go get a gravatar!)

1. Cam says:

Looks awesome! I was so tempted to make the trip there when I was in Ankara a few weeks ago… now I’m kicking myself!! Next time ;-)

2. Wow, beautiful. Shame about the treasures. :(

3. These are stunning! They must be even more breathtaking when you stand right in front of them.

4. Priyank says:

It seems that all wonderful things in this world (including my lineage!) can be traced to Turkey. I must go! :-)

Yes! If you by any chance make it out to Turkey before May let me know – I’d be happy to come meet you since it’s my stomping ground for a bit.

5. Leigh says:

I love the second photo.
    Fethiye is only 20 minutes from Olu Deniz, the start of The Lycian Way – considered to be one of the best treks in the world. If I had a month I’d visit those tombs, strap on my hiking boots and start walking. Lucky you being there.

Yes, before I leave this area I am planning on doing several hikes in and around this area. I’d actually like to go up and around now since the mountains are covered with snow :)

6. Mark H says:

Turkey gets higher and higher on my bucket list with your every post. What a cultural treasure trove it appears to be.

Thank you Mark – the Fethiye area is especially rich with Lycian relics. There is also an amphitheater right by the harbor that was just uncovered by an earthquake a few years ago. Previously nobody knew it was even there! I’m sure you would enjoy a trip to Turkey, many travel wonders here :)

7. Love me some Turkey. Didn’t hit this spot, but will next time, for sure.

8. Oh. I need to go there. Looks like a fab place and you definitely got some good pictures.

9. Donna Hull says:

I haven’t been to Turkey yet but will add this adventure to my list for when I visit. Just my kind of trip.

10. Jim says:

Turkey is one of those countries you can visit time and time again and find something new to explore each time.

11. Deniz says:

I will never forget the uphill hike to those tombs! Definitely worth it, though! What a great view of the city!! :))