The Best City To Visit Travel Tournament 2012: Second Round

As you can see in the tournament map below, southeast Asia and the Americas North and Central, took quite a beating in the first round of voting. You’ll also notice that all of the 64 brackets in this round are filled, meaning no more free passes for any city. It will require votes in each round to make it to the end.

View The Best City To Visit 2012 Entries in a larger map

This Round of 64 cities will be narrowed down to 32 and you have until this Thursday, March 8th 11:30am US EST to vote for your favorites in each match up. Results may not appear after you vote so check back throughout the day and I’ll post updates in the comments below. Those of you reading through email and RSS will have to click-through to this page to vote. Good luck!

best city to visit tournament 2012 round 2

Please keep in mind the final votes for any poll aren’t final until they’re verified by my diligent verification team. I have a feeling there will be quite a few upsets in this round and if your city does advance, keep an eye out this Friday, March 9th to vote in the next round of 32 remaining cities. These initial rounds go by quickly so early votes are important!

Comments - 36 Responses   (Need a pic to show with your comment? Go get a gravatar!)

1. Simon P says:

Some interesting match-ups there. I might be biased because I lived there for four years but I’d like to see London come out on top. And with the Olympics just around the corner…

They are great aren’t they? Especially this year the races have been particularly close, probably because of the difficult choices :) Right now for this round things are looking very good for London with 7 hours to go…it is also looking like Budapest in the next round for London, a tough one coming up!

2. Ah, my beautiful Guanajuato, Mexico knocked out in the first round! But I understand;so few people ever get into the interior of Mexico to see their gorgeous colonial cities.

Sorry to see that :( I do like it when lesser know cities get a chance to be seen. If you’d ever like to do a guest post on Guanajuato, I would love to post it.

3. Anjuli says:

So I see Berlin took the lead- I thought as much- there I go supporting an under dog :) Well the ones who made it in this round look very good- in fact it was difficult to make the vote- but i tried my best to vote between cities that were BOTH great- hopefully the next round will be a bit easier.

India in general had a terrible round! I was very surprised by that actually. Perhaps next year, I’ll be posting some trends from the contest that might help :)

4. Alen05 says:

Anybody any idea how Sarajevo – Vernazza is going??

5. Joy says:

Really? New York beating out Hong Kong.. New York is great and all, but people don’t know what their missing..

6. sam says:

i love sarajevo the city is so nice after war 92-95 it grow up nice city with so nice and friendly’s people around

7. Ehliman says:

Hi mate!

I cant vote for Sarajevo! Why?

8. Nisha says:

Voted. Would be lovely to see how the contest moves ahead.

I’ll begin posting updates late today. Otherwise because of the way the polls are cached you’d see all sorts of inaccurate results in the beginning. Looks though initially Siem Reap is a bit behind BA right now…

9. Dave Brett says:

Struggled with so many this round, tough cookie! Barcelona vs Berlin wooow!

That’s a nice one, but the Iberian Peninsula is well represented in the contest this year, I suspect Berlin has a tough few days!

10. Dave Brett says:

Love the interactive map, awesome idea.

11. Almir says:

why the poll for Sarajevo is closed

12. Francisco Silva says:

Once again I’m proud to see my city on this pool :) Guimarães is definitely a great city to visit and also de European Capital of Culture this year. You can check all the things we have to offer on http://www.guimaraes2012.pt/ Even that we won’t get through the next stage I’m proud of what we have achieved so far…

13. Stephen says:

In the best tradition of New Orleans politics, get out there and vote early and often!

14. Anil P. says:

Some especially close races at the moment:

Lisbon-Marrakesh
    Cape Town-Kathmandu
    Florence-Fez
    Sydney-St. Petersburg
    Washington DC-Hanoi
    Porto-Vancouver
    Valetta-Kyoto

Remember, results may appear and disappear above throughout the day; keep checking back or down here in the comments for the latest.

15. Samir says:

One of the most popular websites in Bosnia and Sarajevo posted an article on the nomination and current position of Sarajevo, perhaps there were to many votes within a short period of time :D :P http://www.sarajevo-x.com/vijesti/bih/sarajevo-medju-najisplativijim-destinacijama-u-svijetu/120306091

16. Alen05 says:

Why is it only possible to see the results for Fethiye – Venice and not for the others?? :

I had made a note about it above; but basically all results won’t be available initially but closer toward the end of the contest. The results are cached and not shown until baselines are established by the software. In the mean time if you don’t see results up top, I’ll post updates here! Thanks for voting…