This is a guest post by Shannon Lane started blogging about travel in 2002, right after a bad vacation. Shannon loves exploring the world and being a good mom. She truly believes half the adventure is getting there.
Park City, Utah, is a year round destination that is home to the ever popular Sundance Film Festival. This is an upscale community with a rustic feel. It is popular with celebrities, especially during ski season. Here are some top things to do while you’re in Park City.
- The Sundance Film Festival – Everyone has heard of Sundance and this is the film festival where many independent films get noticed. Robert Redford’s annual event is a favorite of locals and visitors. It is held each year during the second half of January.
- Hot Air Balloon Ride – This has to be the absolute best way to start a morning. Get a bird’s eye view of Park City while enjoying a continental breakfast and a glass of Champagne. You’ll even get a flight certificate commemorating the event.
- Bobsledding – If you aren’t already familiar with this Olympic Winter Sport, then maybe you’ve seen Disney’s Cool Running, featuring the story of the Jamaican Bobsled Team. Yup. You read that right, Jamaican Bobsled Team. This attraction is open to the public, and yes, I’ve tried it out. It was an exhilarating experience at this site of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. The 75-mph ride shouldn’t be missed.
- Skiing and Snowboarding – Park City is home to three world-class ski resorts: The Canyons Resort, Park City Mountain Resort, and Deer Valley Resort. Deer Valley is for skiers only, but The Canyons and Park City Mountain Resorts welcome skiers and snowboarders. The over 9,000 acres of snow in Park City welcomes beginner and expert runs.
- Shopping – Park City is full of boutiques and eclectic little shops for when you want to take a break from all the outdoor activities. There are eight shopping districts to choose from for those with varying interests.
- Dining – There are more than 100 bars and restaurants to choose from, with a variety culinary choices from around the world. I recommend Morning Ray Café for breakfast, lunch at the mid-mountain Red Pine Restaurant in The Canyons Resort, and an upscale dinner at any of Main Street’s award winning establishments.
- Nightlife – The après ski party scene in Park City is funky and fun. There are wine tastings to be found, dance clubs, and jazz bars. Whatever your poison, it can be found in Park City.
Park City isn’t just a winter destination. The Sundance Film Festival may bring in the celebrities, but the summer months are when families can enjoy hiking and biking and even a few bargains. Don’t forget to use the FREE transit system to get around Park City. You can check out the routes and schedules for this biodeisel fueled transportation at Park City’s Official Visitor’s Site.
Shannon Lane is a member of Priority Club Connect, an online community for Priority Club Rewards members. It provides a forum for members to connect and engage with other travelers and to learn about the Priority Club Loyalty program and the InterContinental Hotels Group family of brands. To join the community and contribute your travel tips and experiences, visit Priority Club Connect.