- Last Update: March 26, 2018
An essential component of my travels and blogging lifestyle is all of the technology I carry; and one of the most frequent questions I get is what exactly all that gear is. Being so mobile means the gadgets I carry have to be portable, powerful, plus durable. When I am in one place long enough, I use and test a lot of products sent to me and out of pocket, to find the travel-tech-sweet-spot for common gear so you don’t have to.
Here’s a look at all the electronics that have made it into my backpack in the photo below that yes, all fit into one ScanSmart 1900 carry-on bag.
- You can find all of the luggage and other non-electronic gear I carry and recommend here.
Laptop: Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015): 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7; 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory; 500GB SSD; AMD Radeon R9 M370X
- Recommended Laptop Cover: Incase Icon Sleeve
- Mouse: Genius Wired Optical Mouse
- Webcam Stickers: EFF Laptop Camera Cover Set
- External Hard Drive: Seagate 4TB Backup Plus
- USB Hub (To Add More Ports): HooToo Ultra Slim 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
Main Video Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds
As I mention in the video above, the main weakness of the point and shoot Lumix I carry, is the video quality. For the price, the Panasonic Lumix G85 is the best 4K camera (that records without time limits as many 4K cameras have) in a mirror-less body that’s smaller than a standard DSLR.
- Recommended SD Card: 32GB SanDisk SDHC
- Case: No link for the case, just a cheap one I grabbed at a shop somewhere.
When I need to use both at the same time, the Movo Photo HVA20 Dual Shoe Bracket does the job well.
- For sports, I use these extremely durable but inexpensive TaoTronics TT-BH06 BL Bluetooth Wireless Earphones as well as the NuForce BE Sport3 [My full review.]
Phone (Daily Driver): iPhone 6s (64 GB)/Space Grey
I also travel with a Nexus 5X, primarily because it’s stock Android and gets updates from Google before most other phones, making it ideal for testing development versions of my WiFox and DroneMate apps. Speaking of app development, I also carry an iPhone 5s, 5, and 4s, all for app testing.
Drone: DJI Mavic Pro
- Recommended accessories: Case for DJI Mavic Remote Controller (Altura Small Neoprene Pouch Bag); DJI Mavic Aircraft Sleeve For Drone; Soft Case to hold both Mavic and remote controller (SwissGear Hanging Toiletry Kit – I know it sounds odd but it fits the Mavic and remote with their cases on, plus the charging cables perfectly.) Storage: SanDisk 64 GB Micro SDXC UHS-I card with adapter.
Backpack: SwissGear 1900 Scansmart Laptop Bag
- All of the electronics in this list, including the DJI Mavic drone, fit into this one bag. I use two SwissGear Hanging Toiletry Kits to better organize and stack everything inside my backpack. These are the other bags and non-electronic gear I use.
Cable Organizer: Cocoon Grid-It 10.5 x 7.5-Inch Organizer
Portable Batteries: PowerStick+ (2300 mAh) PowerTrip (6000 mAh).
Connectors, Converters, And Other Accessories
- OREI Safest World Travel Adapter – An all-in-one that covers my poor memory for most of the world’s outlets. Includes a 3 prong connection too for grounded plugs.
- World Travel Adapter Plug Set – Being less bulky these adapters work well for outlets that can’t support much weight from a heavy charger.
- ALFA Long Range Wi-Fi Adapter – Here’s why you might find one of these very useful, especially if you spend a lot of time online when traveling.
- iKlear Cleaning Kit – This liquid is what Apple stores around the world use to keep our eager but greasy fingers from making display models an icky version of shiny. It also comes with two microfiber cloths.
- Moleskine Classic Notebook 5 x 8.25 (Black) – An ancient but important technology for taking notes and outlining ideas.
If you’re curious, you can see the progression of the gadgets in my backpack from 2012, earlier this year, to now. Also, if you’re interested to know what services I use to maintain this site, I have listed them here. Feel free to ask me any questions in the comments below!