The Best City To Visit Travel Tournament 2012: Championship

she changes janet echelman porto

It is hard to believe that it’s been a little over a month, 7 rounds, and 103 cities later that we’ve arrived at the 2012 Best City to Visit Travel Tournament Championship. Fethiye put up a strong fight but Sarajevo continued on with the momentum of nearly 5,000 votes while Guimaraes again edged out another round to sneak past a stubborn Istanbul. Today we are left with an exciting match up – and Friday we’ll have The Best City to Visit in 2012. Will Sarajevo continue its impressive march to victory or will Guimaraes again slip past a tough challenger? You decide and tell us who is the best.

Voting in the Championship will be open until 11:30am US EST this Thursday, March 29th. Results may not appear after you vote so check back throughout the day and I’ll post updates in the comments below. Those of you reading through email and RSS will have to click-through to this page to vote. FINAL RESULTS won’t be announced until Friday, March 30th.

best city to visit tournament 2012 championship bracket

Please keep in mind the final votes for any poll aren’t final until they’re verified by my diligent verification team.

View The Best City To Visit 2012: Sweet 16 in a larger map

Remember, I won’t be sharing the final results until The Best City to Visit in 2012 is announced this Friday, March 30th. Good luck to both cities!

Comments - 267 Responses   (Need a pic to show with your comment? Go get a gravatar!)

1. Anil P. says:

Hi everyone, another update to hold you over until tomorrow. Sarajevo is leading with about 71% of the vote; Guimaraes trailing with around 3,300 votes now.

• MAFALDA says:

I’ll believe in Guimarães ’till the last minute! We are one of a kind! vote for Guimarães***

• Francisco Silva says:

So do I Mafalda :) still many hours to vote. Vote for Guimarães, European Capital of Culture and World Heritage by UNESCO since 2001!

2. gigi says:

Sarajevo
    the whole city is monumental
    oriental style building
    merriest people in the world
    Olympics 84
    rooms from 10 euros for night
    foud from 1- 10 euros for culinary delights…where else u can find that in world,….
    all bosnia and herzegovina is country of nature, rivers, and foul of helty life—-welcome…
    sory for english…

3. Tibor Ka says:

I have just visited Sarajevo a month ago. I will come back for more. Just amazing!!!

Tibor, Dijon

4. Nina says:

SARAJEVO!

5. Harry says:

Canada vote for Sarajevo City

6. Avelino says:

Guimaraes was the first Capital of Portugal in the 12th century, yes its true so old, and so young in this days. I love so Much, This year is European Capital of Culture, People vote for Guimaraes

7. Rajvosa para siempre - The Immortal City of Sarajevo says:

THE ONE AND ONLY – SARAJEVO

SARAJEVO WILL BE, EVERYTHING ELSE WILL PASS.

8. CELEBRITY says:

Those born by you could hardly imagine else other than you
    Those born not by you could hardly imagine else after meeting you
    Only a stranger could appreciate your beauty as much as I do

Those sunny days of yours warmed by your elevated closeness to the skies
    Those cool nights of yours aired by the circumventing winds of your valley
    Only if your mountains moved away could thy protection leave me

Those magnificent minarets of yours ever calling me for worship
    Those dendritic springs of yours that never cease to quentch my thirst
    Only if I could do miracles could I transform else to you

Oh Sarajevo, may I never need to find else other than you

9. GÖTEBORG says:

HISTORY – ARTS – MUSIC – FOOD = SARAJEVO

10. Joana Almeida says:

Guimarães!!!
    Amazing city, amazing history!!

11. lejla says:

i might appear partial to one of the cities (wink) but, a friend of mine visited Sarajevo about 2 years ago and one thing she kept saying was that she felt like she could live theer without speding a dime for quite some time. people offered place to stay, food to taste and eat, transport, and all that at no charge.

12. Anabela says:

Sarajevo must be a nice city to visit but I vote for GUIMARAES all the way! Not only it has a remarkable ancient history with all its Castles and Churches but also because its where Portugal was born. After all Guimaraes wasnt voted “THE CAPITAL of Culture” for nothing!!!

13. Paulo Fernandes says:

Do you want better than the EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE?

Go GUIMARÃES, we are litlle but by far the greatest city in the Europe!

14. Helder Coutinho says:

Guimarães the Brithplace of Portugal Guimarães always, bigger dosen´t mean better see for your self

15. Persephone says:

Go Guimaraes!!! Great place, great welcoming people!!!

16. Mafalda says:

GUIMARÃES, for sure!

I believe there are no words to express how beautiful Guimarães is, not only the city itself, but the passion and hospitaliy that runs in every “vimaranenses” blood. We absolutely love to live here, but the moments that take our breath away are the ones in wich people from other citys, countrys and cultures come here and begin to love the city as much as we doo. (it happens every time ehehe).

We are waiting you! Come

17. edward river says:

I vote Guimarães

18. Firefly says:

Sarajevo!!
    Explore it and you will remember it for the rest of your life..

19. Tiago says:

Guimarães ale Guimarães ale Guimarães ale Guimarães ale
    Best city in the world…the city where Portugal born!!!

20. vera says:

guimarães!!!

21. Nuno says:

Guimarães! Friendly people, safe city, great food! A city where tradition and a people`s heritage remains preserved! A city both historic and contemporary.
    Guimarães, European Capital of Culture 2012, UNESCO world heritage!

More than enough for you to adore this City! Visit Guimarães!!

22. ana sousa says:

My vote goes to: Guimaraes! Best city in the world <3

23. Enisa says:

I vote for Sarajevo!

24. miki says:

SARAJEVO FOR EVER..

25. jeronimo couto says:

portugal e tudo : guimaraes, vitoria.somos a ponta da europa com uma costa maritima grandiosa

26. Magui says:

Guimarães <3

27. Selma says:

Sarajevooooo :)

28. Almir says:

Sarajevo, always in my heart !

29. Nelson says:

Guimarães Sempre!!!

30. dzon says:

SARAJEVO!

31. Tony Cherzer says:

Vote for G U I M A R A E S.
    and go there as well! Amazing city
    Loved it

32. Selma says:

Vote for Sarajevo. This town has a Soul. So many beautiful landmarks and so many nice and friendly people. Great food, good weather and lots of important festivals like the Sarajevo Film Festival which counts lots of people from the whole world every year! Vote for Sarajevo and visit Sarajevo! You won’t regret it :)

33. Anil P. says:

Hi everyone, here’s the latest update. Sarajevo has a strong lead with the votes about 7,000-3,000 in its favor at the moment. Keep in mind though there is still about 28 hours of voting to go!

34. Sarajevo ljubavi moja says:

Sarajevo my love.Vote for Sarajevo because Sarajevo is the most beautiful city in the world.
    Glasajte za Sarajevo jer je Sarajevo najljepsi grad na svijetu.

35. Sarajevo says:

million votes from me for Sarajevo
    milion glasova za sarajevo od mene

36. tony says:

Sarajevo ,ofcourse

37. vsc4big says:

Vote for Guimarães is the most beautiful city in the world!

38. fashion says:

Vote for Guimaraes!!!!! great city! The best!

Best city in the world.

European Capital of Culture.

39. R. says:

G U I M A R A E S!
    lovely city, cozy, fantastic, beautiful, the best!
    Everyone should visit!

40. Luis Cunha says:

Vote for Guimarães

European capital of culture 2012

41. yeah says:

both cities win!

42. Angelo says:

In 2012 can only be Guimaraes, because it is European Capital of Culture.

43. Claudia Rodrigues says:

Erlman, really, was that necessary? Guimarães is a beautiful city, yes, a city, as I’m sure is Sarajevo. Why not visit both? Of course I hope Guimarães wins but, if it doesn’t, it was good to have come this far on the competition! So, may the one with most votes win!

44. Daniel Galán says:

GUIMARAES!!!!!

GO GUIMARAES!!!!

45. miguel says:

guimarães! no doubt! respect saravejo because must be really nice city, but sorry my friends, not this year ;) if you dont know nothing about guimaraes, maybe is time to come here to portugal and visit this beautiful city and of course, the rest of portuguess cities!

46. Semir says:

Guimaraes is nice city but you need to visit Sarajevo if you haven’t yet.

I vote for Sarajevo!

47. New Yorker says:

There is just something special about Sarajevo…its vibe, its pace of life, its people…go Sarajevo!

• Francisco Silva says:

Shure…but the same New York Times also said that Guimarães is one of the best destinations this year to visit ;) I didn’t see Sarajevo there on the list ;)

48. black heart says:

SARAJEVO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY EVERYTHING

49. Semih says:

Croatia vote for Sarajevoo.. Mwaaaa komšije :*

50. João Carvalho says:

Guimarães yes is a special city.

51. Elvis says:

Feel the Sarajevo once and the feeling remains forever in your heart, you will fall in love in this awsome city, and you’ll be back again…belive me, everyone who’s been there knowes…Love you Sarajevo!!!

52. Francisco Silva says:

Congratulations to Sarajevo! Hope you can visit Guimarães this year :)

53. Eluna says:

ohhhhhhhhh ……. i forgot to mention people and food ……. those two simply MUST be seen, heard and lived ……….. Bosnian cosine is exceptional either you are looking for fast food on the budget, either you are looking for luxurious specialties ….. and people – they are worm, welcoming and they even have a tradition of helping travelers – they call them “putnik namjernik” …. if you ever visit Sarajevo, make sure to ask people to tell you stories about ćevapi and to try this wonderful local dish, make sure to ask them to explain to you “Bosnian coffee story” and to try this strong drink that will keep your eyes widely open for hours … I never could imagine that simple drink as a coffee can taste as a finest Dutch chocolate :))

and – if you pay attention to what is happening in Europe through history – Sarajevo always was and always will be cultural bridge between Western and Eastern Europe …. therefore Sarajevo does not need certificates to prove it…………it is what European’s simply know

54. Eluna says:

I believe that Guimarães is wonderful place to visit, still …… Sarajevo is European Jerusalem ……. people tend to call that city like that because it definitely deserve it ….. it is full of history – MAJOR history that impact the rest of the world, it is full of architecture – you can clearly see history of the city just by walking around ad looking at the buildings (Ottomans, Austrian’s and Hungarians, Socialist, now-days); it is full of cultural events – recently it has become a regional spot if interest – people from surrounding are coming for weekend more often …………. Sarajevo can give you everything you need in any season – winter is all about snow – that city is stuck in between high mountains and there is a lot of snow; Spring is clear as whistle and you can enjoy sightseeing’s from every corner; Summer is all about Sarajevo Film Festival and enjoying nature around the city (big waterfall even), Autumn in Sarajevo is best time and place for you to fell like high school starts again :))) and as some friend of mine said ….. “That is bloody green country” ……… It is green all over around!!!! Even rivers there are green (Google for Neretva – it has clear emerald color)

Therefore – I vote for Sarajevo!!!

55. Rui Abreu says:

Guimarães is a beautiful city. I love this city.Guimarães

56. António vila Verde says:

i Vote Guimarães, the best City in The World

57. guerreirodominho says:

Go Sarajevo ! Congrats on the win!

• Paulo Fernandes says:

Olha o palhaço aziado. Vai pa Marrocos pah!! Onde é que está a cidade Baca Augusta aqui? Ah pois, não está! A dor de coto por sermos CEC e vocês não é muita eu sei, rennie resolve isso.

GUIMARÃES!

58. Elma says:

Oh Anli :) How it comes you haven’t been in Sarajevo. I am sure if u come u’ll feel like at home. It has the similar spirit like Istanbul, so hosgeldin :)

59. manuela Lopes says:

Guimarães is the best. To Work, To Shop, to everything. Mr.Francisco Silva you are correct, forget who don’t understand.

60. guerreirodominho says:

Many congrats on the great win of a great city ! :)

61. Ayatollah says:

And the winner by TKO SARAJEVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! :)

62. Loca says:

Sarajevo…..there is no word which can describe Sarajevo…. Last year I spent two weeks in it and I fell in love with people,food,and good mood :D I’m very happy to hear that Sarajevo is a winner….congrats… ;)

63. Erdogan says:

Bravo Sarajevo

64. sany says:

Welcome to Sarajevo…..:-)

65. Haris says:

I think Sarajevo won didnt it :)
    no comments?

66. Nina says:

Love sarajevo , not important , both or every city have a speciall ‘thing’ ok ???
    My city won , But I wanna travel around the world OFCs !!!

LOVE from Sweden this time :)

67. C.J.Parker says:

Congratulations SARAJEVO <3

68. suad says:

Congratulations Sarajevo

69. Zehetleitner says:

Congratulations to Sarajevo from Austria,I hope to visit sarajevo again, Sarajevo is probably in top 10 of the most beautiful cities in all Europe

70. Space says:

Congratulation Sarajevo! Go and visit this city and you will feel it’s great soul and it will accept you immediately so you will feel like at home. I also hope I will also visit Guimarães soon. :)

71. Sarajevo says:

And we won, which is absolutely fantastic, mean we are the Best City, viva SARAJEVO….

72. Catarina Dias says:

Guimarães was one of five cities awarded a GLOBAL CITY BADGE’s foursquare!
    These results were announced today!

A victory for Guimarães!

73. Sérgio Silva says:

Guimarães obsiouly.

A city full of culture and history :)

74. Francisco Silva says:

New York Times article for the best destinations in 2012:

“Guimarães, Portugal
    A city of youth is fired up by its art scene.

Considered the birthplace of Portugal, this picturesque northern city has long been of great historical importance to the country. Now, with half its inhabitants under 30, it is also one of the youngest cities in Europe. A string of recent developments, like its selection as a 2012 European Capital of Culture and the rehabilitation of the Unesco-designated historic center, have helped turned the youthful “cradle city” into one of the Iberian peninsula’s emerging cultural hot spots.

Much of the city’s burgeoning music and arts scene is nourished by the Centro Cultural Vila Flor, a contemporary-minded cultural center that opened in 2005 in a converted 18th-century palace. It includes amphitheaters, an exhibition villa, artists’ studios and a modern Portuguese restaurant. This March, the center will host the first International Festival of Contemporary Dance, bringing in an impressive selection of dance companies from throughout the world.”
    CHARLY WILDER

No doubts that Guimarães deserves to win this competition. Even in America they know it :)

Sorce: http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/travel/09where-to-go.html?pagewanted=3

• Francisco Silva says:

Just check on New York Times’s web site how seriuos they are ;) One of the most prestigious news paper in the world ;)

75. jisf says:

I do find it interesting that the photo on top the the page is from Matosinhos in Portugal, any reason for that?

On the vote, being from Guimaraes I have to say it is a wonderful city in so many ways, Unesco world heritage site, first capital of Portugal, European Capital of Culture, etc… For Sarajevo it has unfortunately been on the news for many wrong reasons, so a lot of respect from my side. It does look like a city with a lot of history and worth visiting.

In the end i find it amusing that 2 small cities from small countries end up in the final. May the most deserving city Win.

Go Guimaraes!!!!!!!!

76. Fazla says:

Rajvosa ;)Sarajevo has attracted international attention several times throughout its history. In 1885, Sarajevo was the first city in Europe and the second city in the world to have a full-time electric tram network running through the city, the first being San Francisco.The only major city in Europe to have a mosque, cathedral, orthodox church and synagogue within the same neighborhood…..and more,more….

77. Idchy says:

Angelina Jolie would vote for Sarajevo :-D

• Francisco Silva says:

Yes they would…if they dind’nt already voted for Guimarães ;)

• annie says:

Angelina and others where already in sarajevo , angelina is coming back all the time :)hahahaah SARAJEVO THE BEST ! I’ll come back to you my city :)

• Idchy says:

Ummm… I doubt, but, but… That’s ok, Sarajevo got their fan’s votes :-D

• Francisco Silva says:

hahah Hope you can visit Guimarães this year and see for your eyes how beautiful we are. I’m sure that Sarajevo is also beautiful but Guimarães is more :p

• LuxAeterna says:

as well as John Travolta,Penelope Cruz, Mickey Rourke,Morgan Freeman,Kevin Spacey,Brad Pitt, John Malkovich,Bono Vox,Orlando Bloom,Nick Nolte, Jeremy Irons, Gilian Anderson, and so on..

78. Anil P. says:

Another update everyone: Guimaraes has closed about 2% since that last time I checked in with you but the margin is still wide, Sarajevo has about 67% of the vote.

• Francisco Silva says:

It’s still possible! Vote for Guimarães, European Capital of Culture in 2012 and World Heritage by UNESCO since 2001. If you’ve never visted us, you should because we are the most beautiful city in the the universe. You are more the welcome :)

• Fake3c says:

BRAVO Sarajevooooooooo, Forzaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LuxAeterna says:

that is nice to know :)

79. Ana says:

Guimarães is a beautiful city. I love this city. Força Guimarães

80. Cris Ronaldo says:

Voto em Guimarães, claro.

81. Vanja says:

S A R A J E V O

82. Jasminka says:

I love Sarajevo and voted for it, hoping for Sarajevo to win. However, looking at photos of Guimaraes, I realised that is is beautiful and I would really like to to see it. So far, I visited Porugal twice. I adore Lisbon and Sintra already. Looking forward to seeing Guimaraes.
    Best wishes from Sarajevo.

83. Carlos says:

Guimarães, Capital Europeia da Cultura 2012
    Uma cidade, um povo, uma cultura a descobrir!

84. Carlos says:

Guimarães, Aqui Nasceu Portugal!

A VISITAR

85. MoKe says:

Dear Mr Francisco Silva,

I’m (and probably others who read this comments) continuously bored from your strenuous comments.
    Please give others the chance to say their meaning without your interrutpion and suggestions.
    I belive that the best city’ll win, but I’m sorry, as I can see only the same things you’re repeating for Guimaraes.
    Thank you for participation, but it’s enough.

Best regards from Sarajevo.

• black heart says:

MoKe i have to say you something u are right and i love you because of that

• Mia says:

Mr. Moke,

I agree with you 100%… There is “passionate” and there is “pushy” and the line between the two is very thin. However, let’s show our competitors that we are WELCOMING and GRACIOUS and that of course their passion for their city is admirable :) as is ours for our dear Sarajevo :)!! Let’s go Sarajevo 2012!!

• Vitor Silva says:

Mr Moke, just showing people that Guimarães is a very beautiful city, distinguished in several foreign newspapers and magazines. Tough, it’s a city that is not known by most part of you guys and we are only showing you that Guimarães is one of the places to visit, not only in 2012 but whenever you want to, because you’ll always be welcome here. You won’t definitely regret it. The extraordinary food, the sunny weather, the exquisite monuments, the beautiful night life, where you can have a nice conversation at a terrace with some friends..you’ve got a lot to see here. A lot, indeed.
      You don’t say much about your city, maybe because most part of people know that you’re city is great. I haven’t got yet the opportunity to see it for myself but I have no doubt that it is, in fact, a great city to visit, as well as Guimarães.
      Sarajevo is a winner already as well, we’re both in the final and people are talking about these two cities.

Best wishes from Guimarães

• adrenaline says:

I don’t think you should take Francisco’s comments as a personal offense. He, as all of us, is just a passionate Vimaranense, who loves his city and is proud of it. Vimaranenses like to show and tell the beauty of Guimarães. Not just for a contest but in all occasions. Nevertheless who might win, we will maintain ourselves like this, passionate by our city, humble and just hosting people! May the best city win! ;)

• Francisco Silva says:

Dear Mr. Moke,

can you be more expecific with your comment? Being proud of my city and tell everyone to vote for it it’s not a crime. In all rounds I always maintained my posture and I’ve never had a problem.
      I can’t seriously see when and where I was wrong.
      repeating waht I think and see about Guimarães just shows how much I love my city and many ohers did the same.
      Just like someone said in here, both cities should already be proud to be in here in the final. Many other known cities have been defeated so we’re just have to be proud.
      May the nest win.

best regards,

Francisco Silva

With all due respect, I’ll moderate the comments here. You’re free to voice your opinions but people can post whatever they wish so long as it’s respectful, not self-promotion, spam, or otherwise. That goes for everyone, thanks…

86. Kenan says:

Sarajevo go go go go we shall win. Greeting from Sarajevo \o

87. Italian77 says:

Sarajevo definitely !!!! really beautiful city !

88. Galib says:

Sarajevo win :)

89. wohooo says:

let’s go Sarajevoooooo, people make the place the way it is and if we count that in, overall result should be SARAJEVOOOOOOOO!!!!

90. Maria Lopes says:

The picture that is above don`t have anything to do with Guimarães.

91. sejla says:

Proud to be bosnian ! Sarajevo <3

92. ZELJO says:

WE ARE GOING TO WIN!

AGAIN!

Guimares its beatiful, but Sarajevo it’s most beatiful :)

93. eta says:

juste un petit update s’il vous plait

94. schecter says:

I don’t want to advertise Sarajevo or something, but I personally would perfer to visit such a historically, demographically and geographically important place. it’s where east and west meet, where you have catolics, christians, protestants, muslims, jews, atheists all living together, a place that triggered word war 1, that had a big impact on WW2, where Winter Olympics 1984 were held, and 5 years later where horrible war happened…and still, Sarajevo is still as beautiful as it was always. a city that’s 800 years old, a city where you have orthodox church, catolic church, mosque and a synagogue in a range within 50 meters, a city with a fabolous cuisine, a city where ex-yu rock started, a city of football clubs Zeljeznicar and Sarajevo, a city with a heart. i don’t know much about Guimaraes (i’m hoping to visit it once) but i know that Sarajevo is a place from which you can learn a lot, but yet enjoy.

Good luck to the both of the cities, and greetengs to all from the European Jerusalem.

95. Valentina says:

It would be great if Sarajevo win (sorry for others but i am very dedicated to this city) ’cause in a few days it is 20th anniversary since biggest siege in modern history starts – and that was siege of Sarajevo. 20 years since war started :(

Love u all but most of all LOVE SARAJEVO <3

96. avb says:

sarajevo is going to win fosho !

97. Ilma says:

Sarajevo, naturally. Endured far worse fights than this one! One love. :)

98. ja says:

SARAJEVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99. Mladen says:

go go Sarajevo my city :)

100. Fake3c says:

Sarajevo is the best city in the world. Life is great, fun is great, people are wonderful, nothing costs too much, definitely great destination to visit. Since i visited it 5 years ago, I can not miss it every year. Go SARAJEVOOOOOO! I am sure, Guimaraes is great, but believe me, Sarajevo is THE destination! I vote for Sarajevo!

101. Elma says:

SarajevooOoOo <3

102. MrYoldic says:

I’ll vote for SARAJEVO

103. Galib says:

Sarajevo and Guimaraes :) The best 2 city in the world for me \:)

104. chris says:

Guimarães is wonderful city…too bad it hadn’t better luck in finals.

You can’t beat Sarajevo…

105. spica says:

Go SARAJEVO!!! :)

106. sacira says:

Sarajevo!!! :)

107. aaa says:

Sarajevoooo

108. middle east says:

Guima…what? Sorry guys, I’m a frequent traveler but I’ve never heard of this place till now. My vote goes to Sarajevo. Good luck.

109. Aida says:

Saaaaaaraaaaaajevooo!

110. a says:

Welcome to Sarajevo :-)

111. Emina says:

Sarajevo is probably the city that deserves all of this publication so much.
    We have been occupied for a little less than 4 years and we have suffered from every sort of violence there is. But still, the city got up and today it’s still recovering from his fall. However, we are very nice and friendly people and they say we’ve got the best culture and the best food in Europe ! This is probably one of the best trips you can take in 2012, because there’s nothing like Sarajevo. It’s mosques, streets, summer climate, food, people, nature, and so many other things are so unique and I can tell you for sure that you won’t find this beauty anywhere else.
    If I could, I would give many more votes for Sarajevo, because 1 vote is not enough for this beautiful city. I have visited a lot of cities but none of them are like my Sarajevo. And it’s not just that Sarajevo is my hometown, it is the city that I RESPECT the most. And can you believe that this is the same city that it was 17 years ago ? I did my research on Guimarães and all I can say is that no city can compete with this:

regards to you all, and vote for Sarajevo as the best city to visit in 2012 !

112. Amila says:

Sarajevooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!

113. What an interesting final pair – I haven’t been to either!

• Francisco Silva says:

You should visit Guimarães, the European Capital of Culture this year and World Heritage by UNESCO. You are more then welcome :)

114. Pedro says:

GUIMARAES <3 SEMPRE <3

115. Vitor Silva says:

It’s going to very difficult to defeat Sarajevo, but I hope Sarajevo won’t get as many votes as they got in the semi-final. Hopefully Guimarães will win this tournament. :)

116. Vítor Bessa says:

Guimarães, Portugal’s birthplace and European Capital of Culture 2012!

117. Luís says:

Who will win the tournament?
    I think Guimarães really deserves to be the winner, because it is still quite unknown worldwide and this can be the great opportunity to show tourists all over the world the reasons wich made Guimarães be one of the european capitals of culture, during 2012. Come and visit us! You won’t regret.

Luís Freitas

• Lolly says:

Nicely said and I agree about Guimaraes being an unknown destination in comparison to Sarajevo. It looks beautifull in pictures. Good luck.

118. MAGALHAES says:

GUIMARAES – BERÇO DE PORTUGAL!!

119. Rafael says:

Guimaraes !!!

120. Anil P. says:

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments and keep them coming – just please keep the links in your comments to a minimum. We’d rather hear your voice than anyone else’s ;)

121. Carlos Morais says:

Guimarães European Capital of Culture 2012!!!

122. HbK_vSc says:

_O_ GUIMARÃES _O_

123. adrenaline says:

Best Regards to the Sarajevo supporters but I have no doubt that Guimarães is going to win! Guimarães European Capital of Culture 2012!!!

124. GUIMARÃES ETERNA CAPITAL says:

GUIMARÃES!

125. Yeahy, it’s the final. Big congratulations to everyone who got Sarajevo and Guimaraes to this stage. Both cities definitely on a few people’s agendas now. :) We’ve voted and allied ourselves to the city we believe helped Fethiye along the road in earlier rounds. ;) Looking forward to seeing lots of votes in this one. Good luck to both cities.

• Francisco Silva says:

I’ve voted for Fethiye on the other rounds. Hope to have some help form the Turquish supporters for Guimarães :)

• LuxAeterna says:

good tactics, Francisco silva, but I have voted for all Turkish citiesand have been telling my friends to do the same, so I hope to see our Turkish friends to vote for sarajevo… we do have common history :)

• SarayBosna says:

I dont think so ;) I think our brothers will Vote for us ,like we voted for them!
        Even in the last 4 I voted for Both!

I can already hear the chants of both sides somehow coming through the screen :) Seems a lot of Fethiye may be putting their votes in the same direction – once the live results go up it will be quite a ride to watch…

126. Luis Paulo says:

Guimarães on of the most beautiful portuguse city!…

127. Diogo Rodrigues says:

This year there’s no better place to visit than GUIMARAES my friends ;)

128. meli says:

Sarajevo in my heart <3

129. Marina says:

GUIMARÃES – PORTUGAL

130. Samara Morgan says:

Whatever happens we’ll still be proud of Sarajevo

131. Sarajevo says:

Turks do we have your votes? :)

• Francisco Silva says:

After you defeated 2 Turquish cities you’re asking for their votes? Good luck with that… :)

• black heart says:

i am so sorry francisko,but for your information turkey and Bosnia forever will be together,what we can do when we have to do something,and in the end finals we were voted for ISTANBL NOT FOR some other city.have a nice day ;)

132. Cvrle says:

Give us the updates!!!

133. Sergio Fres says:

PORTUGAL – GUIMARÃES!!!!!!!

134. Pipi LongNiner says:

The best tourist atraction of some town/country are people!
    Vote for Sarajevo!

135. Francisco Silva says:

Anil P., you should give us an update every 5 minutes :)

136. Luis Filipe says:

Guimarães :)

137. Ja says:

SARAJEVO is beautiful! :D <3 <3

138. Kemo says:

I can’t see how Guimaraes can even be compared to Sarajevo, really guys?

139. GBG says:

SARAJEVO is UNIQUE…

See you in SARAJEVO.

140. Anita says:

GO SARAJEVO GO BOSNIA

141. belma says:

Sarajevo win

142. tuzlak says:

Sorry Portugal, nothing personal but Sarajevo IS the number one.

143. Mustafa Bektic says:

Sarajevo is best of the world

144. Amelie says:

I came all the way from Sweden going south and after visiting Prague, Vienna and Zagreb now I am stuck in Sarajevo. The the Spring is amazing here, everything is so alive, and there is one place up high on a hill where you can see Sarajevo like the palm of your hand. I feel like a princess standing on a castle protected by the wind and the high walls of old tower. In one valley you can see so many diversities, and this morning even the weather is not the same in all parts. Right now I am standing on that tower and through the wind I send good luck to this beautiful valley.

• A Sarajevan says:

Enjoy our beautiful valley, Amelie :) I will be going to Sweden in a few months, hope I will enjoy it as much as you’re enjoying Sarajevo :)

• LuxAeterna says:

theere are many places on the hills of Sarajevo from which you can see Sarajevo, and each of them offers a different view- Trebevic, Zmajevac, Bijela tabija and so on…

and check out the view from the Hecco Hotel, it is awesome, reminded me of Prague

145. Tommy says:

Sarajevo definitely!!!!!!

146. Camoes says:

Je vote pour Guimaraes

147. black heart says:

Sarajevo is only one,so vote fore Sarajevo

148. bosanac says:

sarajevo ljubavi moja…

149. Hugo Silva says:

Vote for Guimaraes.

Best city in the world.

European Capital of Culture.

150. Nirmel says:

Sarajevo, city which you must visit!

151. Romanista says:

One and only Sarajevo

152. Planeteu says:

Sarajevo is awesome.I vote for Sarajevo you should too

153. vitor says:

Go Guimarães European Capital of Culture 2012, very beautiful city :)

154. Vanja says:

Sarajevo the best :)

155. C.J.Parker says:

I have friends who were born in Sarajevo and the wonderful people and wonderful stories about this city …I hope to this summer and I see the magical city of Sarajevo :)…Greetings from Washington!

156. johny says:

Sarajevo,
    has a soul,
    and it¨s a magical city!!!

157. John says:

GUIMARÃES one of best cities to travel for culture and fun! Been there and wish to come back really soon!! Best Regards from Poland!!! MY VOTE GOES TO GUIMARÃES!!

158. Adela says:

Vote for Sarajevo, the most beautiful city in the entire world. I’ve been all over the world but have never seen a more beautiful city than Sarajevo. 1,2,3 GOOOOOOOOOO—Vote! <3

159. erlman says:

GUIMARAES?????? What is that???? I never heard of it. Is that a city?????

You should Google it and find out ;)

• Francisco Silva says:

The ignorance of some is the the proud of many others!

• Alen05 says:

Why would one choose to appear stupid and ignorant when we have these great websites like Google and Wikipedia where a lot of free information is available. I read about the city on Wikipedia and checked out some images. Looks like an interesting small city. (However I still hope Sarajevo will win.)

• Catarina Dias says:

The world is full of ignorant people!
      Guimarães: European Capital of Culture! UNESCO world heritage!

160. Zukioni says:

Sarajevo FOREVER ! <3

161. Lust says:

SARAJEVO ist am besten und am schonste Stadt in EUROPA!!!!! Note fur SARAJEVO!!!!

162. The only city in the world that is multi ethnic as Jerusalem
    is S A R A J E V O and that can give you such warmth and diversity in culture, art, cuisine….people are so nice…..Good Luck SARAJEVO CANADA IS WITH YOU!

163. traveler says:

So much to see and to live in Sarajevo! Definetly no.1 city!

164. Nobody says:

Go Sarajevo, GO!

165. Sa says:

Sarajevo FTW!

166. ricardo says:

……VITORIAAAA!!!!!!

167. Horga says:

if you can sleep and eat for 15 euros in Guimaraes,then it deserves to win…
    you can have all off that and much more in Sarajevo,no doubt about the winner…
    S A R A J E V O

168. SA says:

Sarajevo !!

169. Sinan says:

Sarajevo ;)

170. edin says:

<3 SARAJEVO – BOSNIA <3

171. Miss Sarajevo says:

SARAJEVO !!!! Sarajevo went through a terrible war and now its like a beautyful flower, nobody can destroy Sarajevo!!! European Jerusalem :-)

All these Citys are beautyfull but….
    No City deserves it like Sarajevooooooooooooo ;-)

S A R A J V O

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

172. samra says:

sarajevo <3 most beautiful and unique city in europe

173. jose auranda says:

hello

AMAZING PEOPLE ,GREAT FUN,DELICIOUS FOOD,LOW PRICES SARAJEVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

174. Dino says:

Sarajevo FTW !

175. jenna says:

S A R A J E V O

176. Indira says:

Sarajevo, my love <3

177. Oliva says:

No east, no west, Sarajevo is the best!!!!

178. GO SARAJEVO! Life is beautiful in Sarajevo! A vida é bela em Sarajevo!

179. lucio says:

Sarajevo beautiful place with lot of eastern culture,food,history, friendly people. mix culture
    good luck Sarajevo I’ll be back

180. Fazlibegovich says:

Come onnnn… Sarajevo deserves this chance. It is quite unknown city in the world with 3 different religions livning in it.. Thousands of people were killed with a stupid mistake that politicians make every day. Sarajevo has suffered a lot, but nevertheless it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
    Vote for the Sarajevo and come to visit, you wont regret…

181. Asim says:

SARAJEVO ! WILL WIN. We need support from our muslim brothers . Good luck !

182. Alex says:

Cant wait to see the results!
    Both cities are great!

Good luck!

183. HECIMOVIC says:

SARAJEVO <3

184. JÖRG says:

Sarajewo !!

185. Ado says:

Sarajevo, poz iz Njemacke

186. LoEG City Guardian BHF says:

People vote for Sarajevo, because this City got a Soul, meet their citizens, the culture of Bosnia and Herzegovina, taste the traditional food, enjoy your time in the city of the former Olympic games.
    Sarajevo the European “Jerusalem” the place which is during his wounded history still multicultural, antic and also modern.
    Walk across the old town, feel the positive energy of all religions in a air line of 100 square meters.Simple, be a part of Sarajevo !
    Visit the European Pyramids near Sarajevo , be a part of the history..

Enjoy your time in Bosnia and Herzegovina , you`re all are Welcome !

Regards ,

LoEG <3

187. Azra says:

Vote for Sarajevo, it will win I am sure :))

188. Amy Sweetlove says:

The best city in the world <3 <3 <3 Sarajevo <3 <3 <3

189. Semih says:

and this year, 200.000 people from Turkey come to Sarajevo.. Like every year, are you ready :D

190. John says:

I’ve been to Sarajevo last year and its a magnificent city. My vote goes to Sarajevo. People, you have to visit this passionate, beautiful, breathtaking city.

191. MoKe says:

GO GO GO for Sarajevo!
    Good luck for Guimares too, but I’m pretty sure Sarajevo will make the fight :)

VOTE BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA, VOTE EUROPE, VOTE WORLD FOR SARAJEVO!

Give us a chance to show YOU all the beauty of multyethnic life, the taste of chevapchichi with a smile on your faces and of course the unbeaten turkish coffee with turkish delight. These are just one of the “must do” things which will make your travel unforgetable.

192. Alen says:

Definetily Sarajevo. One of the most beutiful and historical cities in Europe. Sarajevo :)

193. Lavender says:

THERE IS SENTENCE ABOUT SARAJEVO : ‘Who once come to Sarajevo, it will come back’ :)

194. Marco says:

Vote for Sarajevo.. By. Slovenia

195. Francisco Silva says:

Good luck for Sarajevo, but hopefully Guimarães will win :)

• Salem says:

One time in Sarajevo, you never want to go back.Most Beautiful city with most incredible people in the world. good luck to Guimaraes, you need it! Peace

• Mostar says:

Sarajevo is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Drop by and see it with your own eyes, feel it with your heart…
      I have never been to Guimaraes but after have seen some videos and pictures, I definitely will come over once.
      To be honest, it’s very hard to say which city deserves out votes more. Sarajevo, the pearl of the Balkans and Guimaraes, the cradle of Portugal. However, both cities are already winners.

196. LuxAeterna says:

too bad for guimares, but sarajevo has won :)

197. adrenaline says:

too bad for Guimarães? Congratulations Sarajevo, it was an extremely good competition, hope you all can visit Guimarães soon!

198. Francisco Silva says:

If you pay attention to what happens in Europe you would know that Guimarães is the European Capital of Culture this year as well as World Heritage by UNESCO since 2001 ;) if you are sorry for me I must be even more sorry for you ;)