Seeing The City And Nature Of Sofia, Bulgaria From Vitosha Mountain

May 12, 2011 by           Filed under Pictures and Video                                 Email This Post Email This Post        20 Comments

foxnomad facebook  foxnomad twitter  foxnomad instagram  foxnomad youtube  foxnomad foursquare   foxnomad tumblr

Vitosha Mountain, standing imposingly over Sofia, Bulgaria represents much of what I knew about this eastern European nation before I arrived to learn about space tourism at the Travel Trends Summit. That is, very little, considering I had no idea there was a 2,350 meter (~7,770 feet) tall mass of granite overlooking the capital of Bulgaria.

vitosha mountain sofia bulgaria

A popular hiking and skiing destination, along the bumpy car ride up there are plenty of excellent views for the eyes, though not many my camera skills could capture. About midway to the summit is the Vitosha TV Tower, called “Kopitoto”; behind which you’ll find the decrepit remains of a funicular that hasn’t seen action in at least a decade.

Based on the beer bottles, rubbish, and warnings not to visit at night; the area behind Kopitoto apparently morphs into a drug fueled hangout after dark. Those slightly creepy hours aren’t really the best time to visit anyway as the sound of every twig moving seems heightened by several levels of magnitude.

sofia skyline

The trek up to Vitosha Mountain is one of those touristy things to do that can be easily neglected because it’s in that weird travel-hinterland slightly beyond the city limits. Just far enough to consider but close enough that many might regretfully ignore; Vitosha mountain is free to enter and happens to be the home of oldest national park in the Balkans.

You can see more of Sofia from above and below in my photo gallery here.

Comments - 20 Responses   (Need a pic to show with your comment? Go get a gravatar!)

1. Federico says:

I remember I hated Bulgaria the first time I went there- I was scammed by a guy in the train station. Yet I was back a couple of years ago, and found a beauty I did not see before. Great food, nice people, and interesting experiences!

I’ve heard the train station is especially tricky though in general I was caught off guard by the city as well. In a good way :)

2. Abby says:

Oh wow. Cool. We didn’t make it to Sofia when I visited Bulgaria, which I loved. I need to go back! For Turkey, as well… Three weeks was not enough time for that trip! (Although it never is…)

3. Sherry Ott says:

It all looks a bit decrepit – but I do love that funicular photo!

4. jade says:

Great photos- really put the town into an interesting perspective!

5. Rachel says:

man, whatever the foods are in the pictures.. they look delicious!!!!! lots of color! nice pictures!

The food I had there was incredible, high up on my favorite cuisines list now. I’ve got a post with more details about Bulgarian food (and pictures) coming up soon for ya! :)

6. I’m glad you said the funicular was out of action. I was looking at that photo thinking how brave anyone would be to use it! :)
    Julia

7. Interesting post. You don’t hear much about Sofia. Looking at your photo, it reminds me of a few other Eastern European cities, though.

8. Would love to visit it…

9. Though it’s only 200 miles away from my hometown, Bucharest, I’ve only been to Sofia once, but didn’t get a chance to see it (I was only passing by, on my way to Greece, and it was also night). But I don’t think I missed too much, because it looks pretty similar to Bucharest (perhaps a little less crowded, from what I can see in the pictures)

I haven’t been to Bucharest so can’t make the comparison but guess for you it’s so close it’s easy to neglect. Funny how that happens with nearby destinations.

10. Anjuli says:

I’ve been to Vitosha Mountain- Sofia looks alot bigger than I remember- but then it has been more than 25 years….things take on a different perception over the years.

Must have been an especially interesting time before ’89. Strangely enough, Sofia does look much bigger than a 1.2 million person city from above.