22 responses

1. Steve C
    May 15, 2014

Thanks Anil, for not sugar coating this risky location. There are a lot of very naive travelers out here that look up to experienced travelers, such as yourself. You’ve assumed responsibility, and I think you’ve done a good job relaying what’s actually going on.

The world is a huge playground for us travelers. For my part, at any given time, there are places to visit and others that should wait. Personally, as a Vietnam Vet, I’ve used up most of my “good luck”, and only travel to areas now where it is relatively safe. As in Cambodia; 25 years ago, it was not such a good idea to visit. 5 years ago, it was as safe as anywhere in Southeast Asia.

Again, risky travel is not for everyone. But, if you must go and anything happens, I would be the first to say “I told you so”. Like anything else, line up ten travelers and you’ll get ten different versions of what’s risky. You are a risk taker, but you also show that you’re responsible in how you report what you see. Thanks for that.

• Anil Polat
      May 16, 2014

Thank you Steve, I appreciate your feedback. I know that my travel style, tastes, and experiences vary from most when it comes to risky destinations so I never want to give anyone the wrong impression about potentially dangerous places. As you say, “luck” can be just that, so always important to remember that just because nothing happened doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen.

2. Katie
    May 16, 2014

Nice post! I just got an email today from the company I visited Chernobyl with in 2012 – they were not only plugging their tours to Chernobyl but also new tours they are giving of Maidan and the barricades around the square. Found that quite surprising.

I have to ask why you say the Why Not Hostel is bizarre? I stayed there and found it totally fine. 🙂

• Anil Polat
      May 16, 2014

It was your recommendation (thank you again, btw) that led me there and Why Not was one of the most interesting places I’ve ever stayed. I met several locals living there (using it as an apartment) and another friend who had stayed there a year ago. Apparently the previous Polish owner sold Why Not and the character has since changed. The best description I can give is it’s like Lord of the Flies, with some very young people “managing” the hostel. A great time but nothing about it was normal 🙂

• Katie
        May 16, 2014

Ha! I totally forgot I recommended it to you! Bummer Peter sold it – it had a very fun vibe when I was there. Wondering what he did with the Why Not Hostel in Tbilisi…

3. Drew | The Hungry Partier
    May 26, 2014

I really appreciate your sharing this info! Even tho it seems that tensions have died down recently, it’s still safe to know these things. I plan on doing Ukraine and Eastern Europe next year 🙂

Let me know if you make it out to Korea anytime soon!

4. Sarah Kohl
    May 27, 2014

Anil,

I enjoyed your on-the-ground reporting. I find it interesting that what we see on the news is often quite different from what a person actually in a city is seeing. Clearly tensions are high but not in every corner of the city.

Thanks also for reminding us of the current scams (ATM, pickpockets, wallet drop etc) seems like those are more likely to bother the average visitor than getting caught up in the politics.

Cheers!

5. Jonathan Look, Jr.
    May 28, 2014

As a person living in Thailand where we have just had a coup and martial law I am glad to see you have this attitude. From watching western news outlets you would think I should leave right now. It really has been no problem and it is fascinating to watch.

• Anil Polat
      May 28, 2014

In these types of situations, the specifics are very important but the news tends to, understandably, focus on the events that are out of the norm.

6. Pete
    November 18, 2014

I visited Kiev in July, arriving a week after MH17 went down. My family were more scared than I but on arriving and exploring the city I was surprised how safe I felt even wandering the streets at night.
    Kiev is beautiful and has now been cleaned up and restored to her former glory.
    Get there if you can, I love the city. Slava Ukraine!

• Anil Polat
      November 18, 2014

Thanks for sharing your recent experiences.

7. Romka
    July 20, 2015

Hi, traveling to Ukraine Spring 2016 is it safe there now because of the war. Going Ivano-Frankivsk.

• Anil Polat
      July 22, 2015

Yes it’s safe now but best to keep up with the news as your trip gets closer.

8. wendel
    July 27, 2015

just wanted this question to anyone really, I am a afro- Caribbean person and are thinking about an holiday to Kiev – Ukraine, would it be ok for me to travel there? I won’t have any problem?

• Anil Polat
      August 3, 2015

I don’t think you would.

9. Johney
    March 24, 2016

what is the best place to stay near the all attractions, I am looking for 3-4-5 start hotel.
    Thanks!

• Anil Polat
      March 28, 2016

Sorry I didn’t stay at any so can’t be of help. Maybe someone else on the thread can.

10. Ivan
    July 11, 2017

Hi all, I may be moving to work to Dnipropetrovsk 360 km away from Donetsk and Luhansk dangerous places right now. I was wondering if that would be good thing to do or just not a good one at all.

• Anil Polat
      July 11, 2017

I’m not sure, depends on the job?

• Ivan
        July 12, 2017

That would be informatics.

• Anil Polat
        July 12, 2017

I think it’s a decision you have to weigh for yourself ultimately – I’m not sure what the exact security situation is there specifically at the moment. If I hear anything though from those traveling through the area I’ll be sure to post it back here.