You can find more Egypt travel information within the posts below.
- Is Hurghada Safe? – It’s what’s keeping you away but a good reason to get going.
- 6 Reasons You Should Visit Hurghada, Egypt And One Why You’re Not – Literally a sea of calm in a chaotic region of the world.
- The Best Comments Of April 2012 And May LIVE CHAT! Solo Female Travel To Post-Revolution Egypt With My Guest Giulia Cimarosti – My monthly live chat focusing on your questions about solo-female travel to Egypt.
- 8 Things You Probably Got Wrong About The Great Pyramids In Egypt – Chances are you may have one or more of these misconceptions about this famous tourist attraction.
- Is It Safe To Visit Egypt Right Now? – What it’s like to travel in Egypt months after the January 25th revolution.
- 4 Months After Revolution: Why You Should Take Advantage Of Egypt’s Rare Travel Window Of Opportunity – What makes such a great current travel deal.
Photography From Around Egypt
- A View Of The Red Sea From Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay In Hurghada, Egypt – It’s never winter here.
- Room With A View: The Citadel Of Qaitbay In Alexandria, Egypt – Where the rulers of Alexandria got the best views of the bay below.
- History Waits For History To Unfold: The Great Sphinx Of Giza, Egypt – A rare sight of this famous tourist attraction.
- History For The Pages At Bibliotheca Alexandrina In Egypt – A photo of this impressive cultural center in Alexandria.
- A Lonely Tout Looking For Business At The Great Pyramids Of Giza, Egypt – Visualizing how Egypt’s tourism industry has been hurt since the January 25th revolution.
- Haunting Cairo’s Heliopolis District Nearly 100 Years Later: The Baron Empain Palace In Egypt – The history of one weird building in Egypt’s capital city.
View Worldwide in a larger map
Where I’ve Stayed & Recommend [What this means]
A Few Places To Eat, Drink, And Explore
These are just a few selected places of the many I visited in these cities for a sample of what to see and taste.
- Explore: Bibliotheca Alexandrina [map]; Citadel of Qaitbay [map]
- Eat & Drink: Al Dahhan [map]; Arabesque Cafe [map]; Felfela [map];
- Explore: Baron Empain Palace [map]; Muqattam Hills [map]; Museum Of Egyptian Antiquities [map];
- Explore: Great Pyramid [map];
- Alexandria – Cairo – Giza – Hurghada
You can learn more travel information about other nations by checking out the full country list here.
Hey Anil, I’m planning to travel independently to Egypt next year from India, I have been gathering information from various sources but on one aspect the information has been vague; currency exchange.
How easy is it to get Egyptian Pounds for your Indian Rupees at the Cairo airport or elsewhere in Egypt? Do they accept Indian Rupees at all? And at the end of the trip do they buy back your remaining Egyptian Pounds and return Indian currency, as I gathered from some other sources that they don’t usually do so.
I would be grateful if you could clear the above query or give any information pertaining to foreign exchange in Egypt.
I think it’s highly unlikely you’ll be able to exchange rupees in Cairo airport. I would rather exchange in India to another currency, dollar, Euro, etc. or use the ATM when you get there (but do have some cash for the airport. The ATM wasn’t working when I was there.) I hope this helps answer your question.
Thanks Anil, that helps.
Happy to hear it, have a good trip.