One month from now, you may have $300 extra dollars in your pocket if your city wins The Best City To Visit Travel Tournament 2013.
To enter, all you have to do is name your favorite city in the comments of this post before this Thursday, February 28th at 12:00pm US EST.
Cities Already Selected
Each year I give my newsletter subscribers the first opportunity to choose cities in the tournament. (Don’t feel left out next year, sign up is free.) Since each person can only select one city, you’ll have to pick an alternative to these and any others listed in the comments section already.
- Philadelphia, United States – (Jason)
- Chicago, USA – (Vera)
- Jerusalem – (Judy)
- Barcelona, Spain – (Fazla)
- Muscat, Oman – (Raymond)
- Aswan, Egypt – (Mina)
- Pattaya, Thailand – (Kemal)
- Cairo, Egypt – (Sherell)
- Zanzibar City, Zanzibar – (Clabbe)
- Rome, Italy – (Bethaney)
- Buenos Aires, Argentina – (Walter)
- Lisbon, Portugal – (Rui)
- Tbilisi, Georgia – (Katie)
- Edinburgh, Scotland – (Betsey)
- Beijing, China – (Ren)
- Delft, Netherlands – (Dave)
- New York City, USA – (Anil K.)
- Santiago, Chile – (Sarah)
Not sure if your choice is large enough to be considered a city? Here’s what is a city.
Those are the first 18 entries, leaving 110 more cities to be selected. Don’t be disappointed if your first pick has already been taken, feel free to choose an alternate! Also, you’ll notice that last year’s winner Sarajevo hasn’t been selected yet – it’s yours to take if you can claim it first.
Dates, Deadlines, And How The Tournament Works
By this Thursday, February 28th 12:00pm US EST we’ll have 128 cities. The Best City To Visit Travel Tournament is a single-elimination tournament. Voting will begin later that day Thursday, February 28th to seed the cities (determining match-ups) and next Monday, March 5th readers will begin voting that group of 128 down to 64. Each week, through voting, the cities will be halved until there is only 1 remaining.
- The person who selected the winning city will receive $300 from myself. And, as I’ve done the past 2 years, I’ll visit the new champion city before the end of 2013.
Voting will happen on these dates, so get your mouses ready!
- Round of 128: Monday, March 5th; Round of 64: Thursday Mar. 7th; Round of 32: Tuesday, Mar. 12th
- Sweet 16: Thursday, March 14th
- Elite 8: Tuesday, March 19th
- Final Four: Thursday, March 21th
- Championship: Tuesday, March 26th
The winner will be announced on Tuesday, April 2nd and prize money sent out before the beginning of May.
Will There Be A First-Time Repeat – Or A New Best This Year?
Sarajevo’s 14,211 votes last year send it past a close race with Guimaraes, but no city has ever won two back to back Best City To Visit Travel Tournaments. Who will win this year and follow in the steps of 2009’s Sydney, 2010’s Zermatt, 2011’s Porto, and reigning best city Sarajevo?
So head to the comments and nominate your favorite city before Thursday, February 28th at 12:00pm US EST. Good luck everyone and every city!