You can find more Turkey travel information within the posts below.
- What’s Up With All The Cats In Istanbul? – It’s a fuzzy story.
- Turkish Vegan Recipe: How To Cook Mercimek Koftesi (Lentil Balls) – Featuring my mom!
- Best Way To Get A Taxi In Istanbul, Turkey – Common ride sharing apps aren’t common so here’s the alternative.
- What It’s Like In Istanbul, Turkey Post-Quarantine – A look at the city as it opens up.
- What Istanbul, Turkey Looks Like Under Coronavirus Quarantine – A strange movie set.
- 4 Great Non-Touristy Places To Eat In Istanbul – Tastes a bit off the beaten path.
- Is It Safe To Travel To Turkey? [Updated: Jan. 2017] – The more it’s asked, the more people wonder.
- I Had To Visit A Place I Used To Live To Actually Take Pictures Of It: A Photo Essay Of Fethiye, Turkey – Finally.
- Is It Still Safe To Travel To Turkey? – The recent news might have you asking, here’s the answer.
- Is It Safe To Visit Istanbul, Turkey? – Lots of people have been canceling their trips, should you?
- The Sight You Can Only See In Turkey Every November 10, 9:05am – Get up early on this day to see a unique commemoration.
- 12 Turkish Dishes That Are Unintentionally Vegan – There are actually more than 20 in this post alone.
- Ask My Mom: How To Cook Your Favorites From Turkish Cuisine – Your questions answered.
- What To Expect If You’re Detained By Turkish Police During A Demonstration – From my experiences in Ankara during a protest.
- Birthday Pictures Of The Hagia Sophia In Istanbul, Which Turns 1,475 This Year – Imagine some of the stories this building has to tell.
- 8 Days In Fethiye, Turkey – What to see in this incredible part of the country.
- The Bright Artery Of A City: A Photo Essay Of Istanbul’s Istiklal Caddesi At Night – Where the city comes alive after sunset.
- 48 Hours In Istanbul – An overview of how to get the most out of the city in a short time.
- How To Drink Raki Like A Turk – A primer on how to enjoy Turkey’s national drink.
- 5 Turkish Cities (Other Than Istanbul) To Add To Your Itinerary – Places to explore outside of Turkey’s western coast.
- Why Ataturk’s Image Is Everywhere In Turkey – Visitor’s to Turkey may be wondering about the man whose statues and pictures dot the landscape.
- Turning Ankara Turkey Into A Tourist Town – Things to do in Ankara.
- 7 Vegetarian Turkish Foods For Visiting Travelers Who Don’t Eat Meat – There are many meat-free common foods throughout Turkey.
- The Path Of The Lost Above Cappadocia, Turkey – Pictures and video views of this popular tourist destination.
Videos From Turkey
Photography From Around Turkey
- A Photo Essay Of The Iconic Ortakoy Mosque (Büyük Mecidiye Camii) In Istanbul, Turkey – A classic coastal sight.
- Anitkabir In Sunset Light, Ankara, Turkey – One of the most important, and picturesque, places to visit in the city.
- This Photo From Above Shows The Landmarks To Look Out For When Flying Into Istanbul – Where to look to catch the city’s most famous sites right before landing.
- Protector Of The State: A Solider Standing Guard In Front Of Anitkabir In Ankara, Turkey – A sentry at his post outside of this famous monument.
- Weeks Before The Crowds In Oludeniz On Turkey’s Mediterranean Coast – A photo from one of Turkey’s most popular beaches.
- Ataturk’s Mausoleum Anitkabir: Ankara, Turkey – A look outside and in of this important Turkish memorial.
- The Walled Obelisk In Istanbul’s Hippodrome – One of several things to see in Istanbul’s Sultanahmet Park.
- Fethiye’s Amyntas Lycian Rock Tombs – Built right into the cliffs over looking Fethiye you’ll get a wonderful view of the city from here.
- Santa Standing In Front Of His House In Demre, Turkey – Find out about the man behind the legend in the town where he lived.
- Cut Out Of A Mountain: The Ancient Theater In Myra, Turkey – Take another step on the Lycian trail in Turkey.
- The Most Common Yet Irresistible View From Istanbul’s Basilica Cistern – A site in Istanbul that’s nearly impossible to take a bad photo of.
- A Lone Dog Standing In The Ruins Of Ephesus, Turkey – A rare glimpse of an empty Ephesus.
View Turkey in a larger map
Where I’ve Stayed & Recommend [What this means]
- Agora Guesthouse Review (view on map) [Book on Hostelbookers]
- Ahmet Efendi Evi Review [Book on Booking.com]
- Efendi Apartment Gedikpasa Review [Book on Booking.com]
- Harmony Hostel Review (view on map) [Book on Hostelbookers]
- Hilton Garden Inn Review (view on map)
- Neverland Hostel Review [Book on Hostelbookers]
- Sarnic Hostel Review (view on map) [Book on Hostelbookers]
- Second Home Hostel Review (view on map) [Book on Hostelbookers]
- W Suit Review [Book on Booking.com]
A Few Places To Eat, Drink, And Explore
These are just a few selected places of the many I visited in these cities for a sample of what to see and taste.
- Eat & Drink: Kanatci [map]; Yesim Cafe [map];
- Explore: Anitkabir [map]; Anittepe Spor Tesisleri [map]; Ankara Ethnographic Museum [map]; Ankara Kalesi (Hisar) [map]; Ankara Resim Heykel Muzesi (Painting and Sculpture Museum) [map]; Atakule [map]; Cikrikcilar Yokusu [map]; Kocatepe Mosque [map]; Kizilay [map]; Maltepe Pazari [map]; Museum of Anatolian Civilizations [map]; Organik Pazari [map]; Ulus Metro [map – 2 sites here, Column Of Julian and Temple Of Augustus And Rome];
- Eat & Drink: Deep Blue Bar [map]; Denizati Restaurant And Bar; Guven’s Restaurant And Bar; Mozaik Bahce; Sini Et Lokantasi; Sundial Hotel And Restaurant; Yesil Asma Yapragi;
- Explore: Amyntas Lycian Rock Tombs [map]; Fethiye Castle [map];
- Explore: Cavusin Church [map];
- Eat & Drink: 49 Cukurcuma; Abbas Pub; Anatolia Restaurant And Cafe; Ara Cafe; Barbecue House; Benzin Cafe [map]; Big Pub [map]; Brew Lab; Cinaralti Cafe; Ciya Sofrasi [map]; Dostlar Bufe (Fatih) [map]; Duran Nargile Cafe [map]; Elde Borek; Falls In Galata; Goreme Muhallebicisi [map]; Gram; kafeNA Sanat; Kahverengi Cafe & Nargile [map]; Kaktus Cafe [map]; Karakoy Gulluoglu Baklava [map]; Kekik Borek Manti Cafe; Keyif Cafe [map]; Kumkapi El Marina; Magic Cafe And Bar; Marmara Cafe; Mehsur Sariyer Borekcisi Ciragan; Mercan Restaurant (Beykoz) [map]; Mesale Cafe [map]; Meshur Menemenci; Miss Pizza; Namli Gurme [map]; Pasazade Restaurant [map]; Pasha Nargile [map]; Palatium [map]; Pell’s Cafe; Robert’s Cafe [map]; Safiye Sultan Cafe [map]; Semazen Bufe [map]; Sinan Lokantasi [map]; Sinem Borek [map]; Sobremesa Cafe; Sultanahmet Cafe And Restaurant [map]; Sultanahmet Koftecisi [map]; Tasfirin Pide & Doner Evi [map]; Tiryaki Cafe [map]; Yakup 2 [map]; Ya & Re [map]; Yavuz Pastanesi; Zencefil [map];
- Explore: Basilica Cistern [map]; Galata Tower [map]; Hagia Sophia [map]; Sultanahmet Park [map]; Urban Cafe [map];
- Explore: Catalhoyuk [map]; Mevlana Museum [map];
- Eat & Drink: Pub Uc;
- Explore: Ephesus [map]; House Of Virgin Mary [map];
- Explore: Sinop Fortress [map];
You can learn more travel information about other nations by checking out the full country list here.
Hey! I have a day layover in Istanbul on my way home from Prague in March. Where do you recommend getting a visa from? I think there is an e-visa, no? Thanks for any tips!
What country are you a citizen of?
I am a US citizen.
You can get a visa upon entry for $20:
E-visa is not required, though I read this may change in the future, at present it’s not something you need to do.
well that’s convenient – thank you! I will keep my eye on that .gov site too and take a look at some of your Istanbul recommendations. many thanks!
You’re welcome and enjoy your trip. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.
Like your bar recommendation for Fethiye. 😉 Loads of useful info on this page.
I had the best local advice in Fethiye – plus a lot of experience drinking with them 😀
Hi Is the visa cost for Turkey just 20 dollars for indians ?
I’m not sure.
How can i get to fethiye from dalaman airport?
Do you have any suggestions?
There’s a shuttle outside that’s timed with incoming flights.